Let's Move! Active Schools is a solution to ensure that 60 minutes of physical activity day is the norm in schools across America. Powered by a national collaboration of leading health and education organizations, Let’s Move! Active Schools helps K-12 schools adopt active learning environments by:
- Streamlining the selection of physical activity and physical education resources, programs, professional development and funding opportunities
- Delivering a customized Action Plan
- Connecting physical activity and physical education to academic success
Let’s Move! Active Schools is built to inspire our nation’s youth to reach their greatest potential and to adopt a lifetime of healthy habits. By 2018, Let’s Move! Active Schools hopes to enroll 50,000 schools and help more than 25 million kids integrate physical activity into their daily lives.
Why Active Schools?
Regular physical activity helps students succeed in school – and in life!
In addition to keeping kids healthy and strong, being active for 60 minutes a day has been shown to:
- Boost academic performance
- Increase concentration and focus
- Improve classroom attendance and behavior
Students spend on average 6-7 hours a day in school, and we often find that if they don’t move there, they don’t move at all. That’s why, in collaboration with the groups below, the First Lady kicked off Let’s Move! Active Schools in February 2013.
Today, Let’s Move! Active Schools is the national solution to ensure 60 minutes of physical activity a day is the new norm for schools.
By equipping school leaders and educators with the tools to create an active learning environment, Let’s Move! Active Schools makes the process simple for teachers and strategic for administrators. Not only does Let’s Move! Active Schools streamline the selection of physical activity and physical education programs, resources, professional development and funding opportunities, but it also delivers each school a comprehensive, customized Action Plan.
How Can You Help?
Every school needs a champion - anyone can be that champion. Whether you’re a parent, teacher, administrator, coach or community member, you can make a difference. Everyone has a role to play, and by working together, we can help our schools get moving and our kids lead active, successful lives.
After signing up on www.letsmoveschools.org , a school will be guided thorough a simple process:
- EVALUATE. How is your school already moving? Our Assessment tool will show where you already shine and where you need to step it up. Then, develop your Action Plan and get moving.
- ACTIVATE. Amplify your Action Plan. Identify the resources, programs and initiatives that make sense for your school.
- CELEBRATE. You’ve planned, you’ve acted…the only thing left is to celebrate! Apply for the Let’s Move! Active Schools National Recognition Award.
Let’s Move! Active Schools brings together organizations across sectors to increase physical activity in schools. The following groups are key collaborators in this effort:
- Action for Healthy Kids
- Adventure to Fitness
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- Athletes for Hope
- Focused Fitness
- GenMove USA
- GENYOUth Foundation
- Good Sports
- Kaiser Permanente
- KIDS in the GAME
- Lakeshore Foundation - National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD)
- Let’s Move!
- Marathon Kids
- NBA FIT
- NIKE, Inc.
- Partnership for a Healthier America
- President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
- Safe Routes to School National Partnership
- S&S Worldwide
- SHAPE America
- Sportime & SPARK
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- UNICEF Kid Power
- USA Track & Field
- Yoga Foster
Visit www.letsmoveschools.org to learn more and get started.