Spring into Wellness with the New PALA+ Program!
Having a healthy body and mind are two of the best rewards you can receive when you’ve committed to an active lifestyle. Yet who doesn’t like to receive a little extra recognition for their physical activity and nutrition efforts? If you’re looking for a new challenge, a reason to start moving, or a little extra inspiration, then you’ll be happy to hear about the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award (PALA+). PALA+ is an 8-week program from the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition that can help users maintain or improve their health by incorporating weekly physical activity and healthy eating goals. Participants ages 6 and up who complete the program goals are awarded the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award for their efforts.
But wait, it gets better: This spring, the President’s Council is proud to launch a brand new version of the PALA+ program on SuperTracker, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s free online food and activity tracking tool. It furthers the program’s mission to help Americans of all ages and abilities move towards the latest recommendations from the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
What this means is that for the first time, PALA+ allows you to log individual food items and physical activities into your SuperTracker profile in order to complete the PALA+ program. Other benefits of participating in PALA+ on SuperTracker include:
- Customized dietary recommendations, such as food group, calorie, and nutrient intake goals to help you work towards a healthy eating pattern
- An interactive SuperTracker dashboard to help you visualize and monitor your progress
- Motivational pop-up messages
- Use of SuperTracker’s extensive food database
- Easy access to nutrition and physical activity educational information
And if that wasn’t enough, users who fulfill bonus PALA+ program requirements on SuperTracker will be eligible to earn the all new PALA+ Premium Award certificate, which is a new addition to the long-standing PALA+ award! So no matter where you are in your #0to60 journey - whether you’re taking your first steps towards living healthy or looking to refine your healthy habits, all PALA+ users will be challenged while working through the program.
Sign me up! What will I have to do?
To earn your PALA+ award, sign up on SuperTracker. Log your physical activity and food using the Physical Activity Tracker and Food Tracker each week of the program.
- Weeks 1-5: In the first 5 weeks, log your food and physical activity to begin a routine and reach as many goals as you can. Check your PALA+ dashboard to see how you’re doing.
- Weeks 6-8: Beginning in week 6, reach your weekly physical activity goal and at least 6 of the 9 weekly healthy eating goals (including at least 1 of the dietary limit goals) to complete the program and earn your award. If you need more time to reach your goals, you can try again in weeks 7 or 8.
Signups for our Spring into Wellness PALA+ Challenge are available on SuperTracker beginning today, and the challenge will run from March 26th, 2017 – May 20th, 2017.
PALA+ on SuperTracker has open enrollment, and you can sign up at any time to start your own personal 8-week program. The first week of your program will always begin on the first Sunday after you sign up.
Earn your PALA+ anytime, anywhere.
Do you want to earn your PALA+ award offline? No problem! The PALA+ program continues to provide an offline option through the recently updated PALA+ paper log, which is available to download and print at Fitness.gov. Both ways of completing the program are great and allow you to earn the PALA+ award.
Show your PALA+ pride on social media!
Signed up for PALA+? Way to go! Let us know on social media by tagging us on Twitter @FitnessGov and using #0to60! Invite your friends, family, and social media followers to get started in PALA+ or to sign up for the Spring into Wellness PALA+ Challenge by using our sample messages below:
- Spring into Wellness with the new PALA+! Join @FitnessGov & @MyPlate and sign up today! http://bit.ly/2mFWg7W #0to60
- Back & better than ever! PALA+ is refreshed and now on @MyPlate SuperTracker. Learn more: http://bit.ly/2mFWg7W #0to60
- Need a new challenge? A reason to get moving? Check out the all new PALA+ on #SuperTracker & sign up today! http://bit.ly/2mFWg7W
- Why wait to live a healthy life? Start now & sign up for the Spring into Wellness PALA+ Challenge w/@FitnessGov! http://bit.ly/2mFWg7W
- Sign up for the new PALA+ program on @MyPlate #SuperTracker to get active, eat healthy, & earn an award! http://bit.ly/2mFWg7W