PCFSN Research Digest
The Research Digest is a quarterly publication of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. Issues cover a range of topics that includes aspects of sports, physical activity and fitness, physical education, nutrition, and dietetics research. The goal of the publication is to present a balanced, research-to-practice, evidence-based analysis of the topic for educators, sports coaches, public health practitioners and students. Click here for the Research Digests, and be sure to subscribe to the mailing list to be the first to know when new reports are released!
Guidelines for Physical Activity & Nutrition
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010: Published every five years since 1980, the guidelines provide evidence-based nutrition information and advice for people age 2 and older.
- Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults: From the National Institute on Aging, learn the benefits of exercise for older adults, how to get started, exercises to try, and how to stay active.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans: The first-ever Federal guidelines for physical activity describe the types and amounts of physical activity that offer substantial health benefits to Americans.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Midcourse Report: Strategies to Increase Physical Activity Among Youth: The report describes intervention strategies for increasing physical activity among youth aged 3 to 17 years in key settings including school, preschool and childcare, community, family and home, and primary health care.
Federal Reports & Plans
Statistics & Indicators
- 2010 Shape of the Nation : Provides a current picture of physical education in the American education system.
- State Indicator Report on Physical Activity: National and state-specific information around physical activity behavior, policy, and environmental supports are included.
- U.S. Physical Activity Statistics: Physical activity data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System captures responses to physical activity questions that measure a person's physical activity in leisure-time, household, and transportation.