Let's Move! Active Schools is a comprehensive program that empowers school champions (P.E. teachers, classroom teachers, principals, administrators, and parents) to create active environments that enable all students to get moving and reach their full potential.
A Let's Move! Active School provides opportunities for quality physical activity in 5 key areas:
- Physical Education
- Physical Activity During School
- Staff Involvement
- Physical Activity Before & After School
- Family & Community Engagement
Why Active Schools?
Studies indicate that active students do better than their more sedentary peers. Regular physical activity has been shown to increase concentration and attention, improve attendance, and increase academic performance. Physically active lifestyles also lead to lower rates of childhood obesity and related conditions.
Kids need 60 minutes of daily activity to be strong and healthy. Kids spend a significant portion of their day in school, so it is critical that we all work together to help schools become hubs for quality physical activity.Yet, schools across the country are struggling to integrate physical activity into the school day. Today, only about 4% of elementary schools, 8% of middle schools, and 2% of high schools offer daily P.E. and only 9 states require recess in elementary schools. Recognizing the severity of this issue and the opportunity for change, groups across the government, public and private sectors are teaming up to support the efforts of administrators, teachers and parents to help bring physical activity back into America’s schools.
Becoming an Active School
Let's Move! Active Schools provides individual champions with a clear roadmap to create an active school environment. After signing up at www.letsmoveschools.org, champions will be guided through a simple, 6-step process currently being used by 15,000 schools as part of the Healthy Schools Program.
Resources and Assistance
Let's Move! Active Schools combines the effective parts of existing programs and draws on new resources to provide customized support for each participating school.
Participating schools will have access to:
- Activation Grants: after completing action plans, school champions are encouraged to apply for one-year grants to kick-start quality programs. Professional Development: a free, innovative, in-person training program will provide champions with the knowledge and skills needed to integrate activity into every part of the school day.
- Technical Assistance: a robust support network including online assistance, a live call center, group workshops, and even in-person site visits from certified professionals.
- Free Resources: access to a suite of free online resources, including curricula, toolkits, research, webinars, videos, and other digital tools.
- Communications Tools: simple messages and easy-to use tools to help spread the word and build support for physical activity within communities.
VISION & OBJECTIVES:
The organizations behind Let's Move! Active Schools have united around one vision to bring about an America in which physical activity is held as a core value and where active living is the norm.
This vision is grounded in two key objectives:
- Create early, positive experiences for kids in sport and physical activity
- Integrate physical activity into everyday life
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education,
Recreation & Dance
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- GENYOUth Foundation
- Kaiser Permanente
- NIKE, Inc.
- Partnership for a Healthier America
- Let’s Move!
- President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
For more details and to register your school, please visit LetsMoveSchools.org. Full Bio